Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Darts, Gathers and Resizing

Patterns have always been a little daunting to me, to say the least. Ever since I witnessed my Mum stressing out over cutting a pattern out herself when I was a little girl, I have had this inbuilt fear of cutting out fabric and realizing I cut it out wrong, or that I would miss important little nodes or dots.

Doing this dressmaking course is exciting. I am thrilled to be studying something that I love and pursuing a bit of a dream of mine - Making clothing for a living. Even though I will most likely make clothing on the side, it's still a wonderful thought that someday, someone will wear something I have made. 

Although exciting, it also comes with confusion. I look at a pattern layout and understand what pieces go where.. But I struggle to understand how to make things bigger or smaller and where to add darts in this process.

All of this will become clear to me as I go on through the course, I know. I am trying not to get ahead of myself. Take deep breaths and embrace it. Anxiety can be bad like that. It fuels the fear and causes me to hyperventilate. I need to try and turn this into a fuel, so I can see it as an adventure, rather than something I want to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment